Estimated reading time: 5 minutes
Customers are the people who keep your business going. And while it’s important to show them you value them every day, there’s one day in particular that you really want to make sure they feel appreciated—and that’s Customer Appreciation Day. This holiday, which happens each spring on April 18, offers the perfect opportunity for small business owners to thank customers and do something special to show them some appreciation.
But how, exactly, do you do that? Let’s take a look at some customer appreciation day ideas to help you celebrate your customers this April.
6 ways to celebrate Customer Appreciation Day:
- Host an event for your customers.
- Roll out a special Customer Appreciation Day offer.
- Run a raffle or giveaway.
- Create custom gifts to show your appreciation.
- Feature your customers on social media.
- Ask customers for feedback.
1. Host an event for your customers.
One of the best ways to celebrate any holiday is with a party—and Customer Appreciation Day is no different. No matter what kind of business you are, think of a way to celebrate with an event to say thanks and show your appreciation.
If you own a restaurant, you might host a cocktail party—and serve your signature drinks and small bites. Run a retail store? Maybe you can host an event where customers get to try out some of your newest or most popular products. If you own a hair salon, consider throwing an event where customers can come in, meet with a stylist and get styling tips. Think of the type of event your customers would appreciate the most—and then have fun with it.
Also, keep in mind that events don’t have to be in person to be successful. If you can’t host an in-person event or it doesn’t make sense to gather your customers together in person, virtual events can be just as effective! Try an on-screen wine-tasting class, cooking demonstration, fashion show, customer Q+A or advice session…whatever makes the most sense for your business and your customers.
If you’re hosting an in-person event, make sure you spread the word. Advertise your upcoming event with a social media announcement or postcard, and attract new shoppers with a custom chalkboard sign or banner.
2. Roll out a special Customer Appreciation Day offer.
Thank your customers for their continued loyalty with a limited-time appreciation offer. Whether it’s a discount or shopping incentive (like a gift with purchase, double loyalty points or an extra stamp on each customer’s loyalty card), an offer is a win-win for you and your customers. They’ll get to enjoy your products and services at a discounted rate, and by incentivizing them to do business with you, you’ll boost traffic and increase sales.
3. Run a raffle or giveaway.
Throwing a raffle or giveaway is another great way to celebrate your customers on Customer Appreciation Day. There are a variety of ways to run a raffle or giveaway…so get creative! You can make your raffle completely random – for example, ask customers to fill out a contact card and then choose one from the pile. Or, you can tie it to a specific activity – maybe every customer who shops on Customer Appreciation Day is entered to win. Whether you raffle off a bundle of best-selling items or a complimentary service, a giveaway is a great way to energize your existing customers and attract new ones.
4. Create custom gifts to show your appreciation.
Gifts are a fantastic way to show appreciation. So, why not celebrate Customer Appreciation Day with custom client gifts? There are plenty of fun and affordable gifts you can use to say “thanks” to your customers… and get your branding out there at the same time. Give clients these gifts as a thank-you for their purchase or as a freebie for coming in on Customer Appreciation Day.
- T-shirts. People love free T-shirts! Try designing your own and pass them out to customers.
- Hoodies. Want to gift your customers something a little warmer than a T-shirt? Give your best customers a logo hoodie or sweatshirt.
- Keychains. Gifting your customers a branded keychain is a great way to stay top-of-mind. They’ll think about your business every time they grab their keys!
- Coffee mugs. Chances are, most of your customers enjoy a morning cup of coffee or tea—and giving them a branded mug is a great way to incorporate your business into their morning ritual.
- Drinkware. Coffee mugs aren’t your only beverage container choice. Custom drinkware, like water bottles and tumblers, also make great customer appreciation gifts.
5. Feature customers on social media.
Another great way to make your customers feel valued and appreciated is to give them a shout-out on your social media channels. If you have customers that frequent your business, ask if they’d be interested in being featured in your upcoming social media customer appreciation series. Once they give you the go-ahead, snap a photo, write a few words on why you appreciate them and their business and then post it on your favorite social channel. You can also consider offering them a small gift or discount to thank them for their participation – maybe a gift card or voucher they can use on their next purchase.
6. Ask your customers how you can make them feel appreciated all year.
Customer Appreciation Day happens once a year—but you want your customers to feel appreciated all year round. So, in honor of the holiday, ask your customers what you can do to make them feel more appreciated.
Ask for feedback (maybe through your website or via an email survey) on what you can do to make them feel valued and appreciated every day. Then, take that feedback and implement as much of it as you can. It could be something as simple as following up after a customer makes a big purchase, or adjusting your shop’s hours to be open late one day a week. The more customer feedback you apply, the more appreciated your customers will feel!